Monday, October 27, 2008

Adventures in Canada


I raked leaves for the first time in YEARS last weekend. I've been staying with some friends in Canada and the leaves are in full color and falling. It reminded me so much of when I was young living in Michigan. I don't remember much of those years, but I do remember they were full of adventure. I spent hours running around with my brother outdoors, loving to explore nature and pretending to have all sorts of adventures.

At some point, though, I lost that adventurous spirit. I got scared along the way, and life became hard verses challenging. Lately I've felt a desire to reclaim that sense of adventure. I don't want to be so focused on the difficulties of life that I relinquish the challenges. I have kids now and they LOVE the outdoors. They are ready for the next big adventure. I don't want to be the one who kills the spark in them.

My wife keeps telling me that she sees so much of me in our son, but I have trouble seeing it. He's such a little leader, ready to explore the next hill or tree. "Come on guys," he'll say, and lead us to the next adventure. I'm excited to have a second chance to embrace life's challenges with my kids, full of risk and danger, but full of life.

No comments: