Sunday, March 23, 2008

Life with 1 John

We leave for Catalina (see picture below) tomorrow and I've been prepping 1 John, the text we will study as a group out on the island. I have been awestruck by John's (or whoever the author of 1 John was) view of sin and obedience as I've studied the text. He reminds us that as believers, sin is not in keeping with our identities as children of God. Though we have a beautiful solution for sin through confession and forgiveness, we are not meant to sin. It is just not appropriate for us as children of God. Personally this truth has empowered me to view temptation and my own will power in a whole new way. Sometimes I don't think I take my ability to choose life - versus the death that comes with sin - that seriously and I give in to temptation without a fight. John's exhortation inspires me to live as I am meant to live - like Jesus!

I pray I would know who I really am this week, and that I would be encouraged to walk in that true identity. May my friends be changed and transformed by the power that comes from truth intersecting with our heart's desires. May Jesus bring freedom and new life to many.

No comments: