Friday, March 21, 2008

Taking Time to Slow Down

I read an old Bill Hybels chapter the other day from "Too Busy Not To Pray." He emphasizes the importance of slowing down in our fast-paced culture in order to connect with God more intimately. One recommendation he makes is to journal every day, even for a short bit, because it causes us to stop, reflect, and connect with our souls and with God. Blogging may not be the same as journaling, but since I hate having half-completed journals collect in our small home (sorry hon'), I'm going to take to blogging again. Spend some time breathing deeply, putting a few thoughts down online. Obviously some of what I write can't be as personal, but perhaps sometimes I will write an entry and just not post it. The point is to slow down - take time out to reflect. I'm grateful that even though we are moving towards a technological overhaul of everything that we know, there are still forms of reflection - for good and for bad - like blogging, that provide the necessary space to just "be." Peace to you this day.

Yesterday was a tough day - early with the kids, baby still sick, C and I SO tired. We're tired so much of the time these days. But it was so good to be in the word - to prep for camp and see such depth and power in the scripture. I pray that as I am changed by it, so would my students. I also pray for healing for our family - so that we could have some normalcy. Yet even as I pray this I recognize that I am learning long-suffering in a very gentle way, and I am grateful. Deepen in me your character, Jesus, that others would see you more clearly and be amazed.

No comments: